Monday, March 16, 2015

Recording Artist Emily Vaughn's Writing Process & Creative Growth

Emily Vaughn, a 19 year old singer-songwriter hails from a small town in Florida who has a vision for success accompanied by a warm tone and capability to make audiences feel happy facing certain emotions. She has recently been signed to WHTEBLNK and is traveling between her hometown and LA to record her first EP. Vibrant and driven, Emily has taken the time to speak with me about her creative process, travels, and extends words of inspiration to her fans and fellow budding artists in this exclusive interview. 



As a young singer/songwriter, you certainly have a strong presence that resonates through your sound.  What has contributed to your maturity in song writing and who has influenced your sound?

Thank you so much! I have been writing for as long as I can remember, sometimes Ill even listen back to songs I wrote when I was really young and compare them to how I write now. Its funny because Ive been writing about the same things my whole life- love, independence, heart ache, desire, etc. But obviously with anything you keep at, you grow, you mature. So after experiencing these things I gained experience and knowledge on the subjects and my writing improved from it. As far as influences go, I love all different genres of music, but I pull a lot of influence from Broods, Lorde, Banks, Taylor Swift and other kick ass female artists.

You are currently recording your first EP. What kind of themes are you going to explore and how will you direct them on your debut album?

Yes I am! I think the EP will come as a bit of a shock to people, its very upbeat and fun- probably a bit more pop than expected. Like something youd car dance to, [and] I cant wait for people to car dance to it. There will definitely be ballads on the album, something a lot more stripped down and vulnerable, really focusing on the lyrics and emotion. But, I also love the pop songs and Im excited for people to have a good time to my music. Ive had a total blast writing and working on these songs and I cant wait for people to hear.

How important do you think it is to convey such emotions through your lyrics?

I think properly capturing an emotion through a song is one of my favorite parts about the song writing process. If I get inspired by something, I do my best to channel that specific emotion into a song in a way that others can relate to. I find it so amazing that you can write about something so personal but it can relate to so many different situations. 

Has the process of traveling between Florida and California while recording influenced your writing at all?

Absolutely! I get super inspired by meeting new people and seeing new places, and Ive met so many driven and unique people through this journey. I love being in LA because its so busy and fast pace, I always get so much done out there. But its always so nice to come back to Florida and relax, work, and spend time with the people I love so I have plenty of motivation to write!

Are there any artists out there whom youd like to collaborate with and why?
Oh gosh yes, too many to count! I would love to write with so many different artists and musicians in all different genres. i would love to collaborate with Banks because i feel like I can personally relate to her as well as her writing styles.


What advice can you give budding artists to preserve through their journey making their goals a reality?

Well, as a budding artist myself I know a lot about the competition. its easy to get caught up in stressing over how many other artists there are doing exactly what youre doing. I think the best thing to remember is that no matter how many people there are that share your dream, none of them are YOU. We are all unique and special and all have something that sets us apart from the rest. Its very important to remember that other people having talent is not the absence of your own. So, keeping working hard on your music and bettering yourself because thats what will pay of in the end.


What has been the highlight of your journey so far, and what are you most excited about for the future?

Well, hearing my songs come to life has to be the most rewarding and exciting thing in the world. So, as far as highlights go it’s between that, and releasing my first single, “Hollow.” It was such an overwhelming feeling to finally share something so important to me and receive such positive feedback. I think the thing I’m most excited for is to just continue doing what I love, making music that people can enjoy, and seeing where this journey will take me.



Photography: Shannon Miller 


No comments:

Post a Comment